I didn’t exist this week. I’ve now been accepted to FOUR Ph.D. programs in digital media or similar fields, and I spent most of last week traveling to visit two of those schools. HOWEVER! This was a planned occurrence, and I still managed to get quite a bit done – all of my tasks to 100%.
Positives: This was a very productive week, which I hadn’t anticipated. I got a new prototype in, got to see the fruits of our mocap later, and got to laugh my head off while prototyping all of the fun things that happen once the corpse drops into the room. Also, I got to listen to voice actor auditions with Sydney and Samara, and being able to hear our lines spoken by professionals and being able to think about who we’d want in our cast was just incredible.
Negatives: I didn’t get to start on the new piano puzzle as early as I’d have liked, and that means it’s still a little buggy. (I think I just need to accept that these cylinders will be a problem for me for the rest of forever.) Also it’s another late night getting deliverables in, which is not ideal. I want sleep.
Code animations as much as humanly possible
The bugfixing never ends
Work with art team to get final character models into engine!
Things are still in motion for the There’s Been A Murder team. This week, we had several large deliverables due, and, despite several of our team members being focused on other projects this week due to a Drexel competition, we’re making great progress towards our goal.
Art is being created and bugs are being fixed.
We built a Work In Progress for our midterm presentation.
Oh, and we did a fun little update that features all of the bugs we’ve encountered thus far.
Up next for the team is continued programmatic polish, LOTS of art asset generation and scene population, and sound and PR – we have lots to do, but are confident we can handle it!
OH GOSH INTEL IS HAPPENING AND EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE
Polish puzzles: 15m
WIP build and video: 1h
Total Hours: 1h45m
OH GOSH. EVERYTHING IS SO MUCH.
Most of my time this week was dedicated to getting STILL ON THE WATER ready for Drexel’s internal competition for the Intel University Games Showcase. Fortunately, that hard work paid off, and the team for that game is headed to GDC!
Because of this, I didn’t make a lot of progress this week – and that’s something I know my teammates have also seen as four of us were involved in Monday’s competition. However, we are indeed fortunate – on the programming side, we’re in such good shape (thanks to Samara’s tireless work) that this isn’t really a setback. It’s strange to know that I can be super busy and still get sleep and the project will move forward. That said, I’ve now had two very light weeks in terms of progress in a row, and I want to be a good teammate/lead, so I look forward to diving back in seriously this week now that the internal competition is over and we can breathe for a minute before GDC happens.
Positives: This might be the easiest WIP I’ve ever put together. Everyone has been working really hard, and that shows when it comes time to hand things in. There’s very little frantic last-minute fixing, and I just have to cap everything off and send it in. Shoutout to my team for their hard work and for making this possible.
Negatives: As I mentioned above, I’ve now had two light weeks, which isn’t great. This week my primary game focus will be here instead of with STILL ON THE WATER, so I shoul dbe able to make better progress.
Also, since programming is in good shape, I might get pulled off that to work on some art things this week, which I’m looking forward to!
In Which I Scream at SourceTree and Get A Little Bit Sick
Polish exisitng puzzles: 2h
Complete master branch merge: 2h
Implement All New Models: 30m
Total Hours: 4h30m
A light week over here in Erin’s world. I was lucky that I didn’t have a ton on my docket this week because I can down with some sort of very short mystery illness during Monday night, my primary work time on this project. However, I’m happy to report that
Positives: Good progress is being made, particularly one the code side of things. We’re cleaning up the broken pieces, and, even when Samara and I spend our free time batting ideas back and forth about WHY THE STUPID WALLS DON’T WORK, we generally find a solution somehow. I’m also thrilled to see some of our art getting in-scene. I got Chris’s camera back in the project for Samara’s usage, got my hands dirty in Sourcetree fighting to get our master branch updated in a clean way (shoutout to Samara for doing most of that work last week!), and added some sound framework and label snapping to some of our puzzles. They’re little quality of life updates that don’t take very long, but they’re what keeps the player feeling like their choices matter.
I also like knowing that, though I don’t report the hours here, I’ve been in touch with the team all week collaborating on debugging, branch maintenance, and everything else – while I never sit down to do administration, it’s always on my mind – I’ve even talked about puzzles with Samara during basketball games.
Negatives: I overlooked that we had marketing materials due this week, and was lucky that the art team was on board to generate those assets quickly. Additionally, I didn’t post a status table into our team discord until much too late in the week, and there were misunderstandings between the leadership and the art team, which we have already taken steps to remedy.
Get more art assets in
New sound, if we have new music from our sound team