Post Mortem 

I learned a ton, working on this project. Firstly, about optimizing and creating assets for VR. I love working with VR, and I’ve optimized assets for games for VR before which is definitely its own task, but not too difficult. Creating post-processing and VFX for VR though often requires its own version of the effect, because of how VR cameras work. On top of this, working with the lightweight render pipeline, which also requires its own graphics constraints, made many usual art pipelines more complicated. I know more now about making VR assets for Unity’s Lightweight Render Pipeline than I did when I started, but it’s still enough of a roadblock that I think I prefer using the normal pipelines and optimizing through those.

For texturing I definitely got a workflow down. The process continued throughout the project mostly the same, and while there were bugs or fixes to models and UVs that needed to happen often, the pipeline itself rarely changed, and was very smooth from start to finish, which was wonderful. I got to build up a library of substance designer patterns and substance painter smart materials, and also learned several workflows for creating game foliage in Zbrush. That was great, but is also one side of one of my ‘could have been better’ moments. Earlier on, I spent a lot of time making things for the plant wall, models, foliage, gardening tools, texturing those, etc, when it would have been a much better plan to do larger texturing sweeps of the game early on.

I also learned more about how color palette can interact with lighting and player visibility, and quite a bit about how to select assets that should be busier, vs assets that need to be textured more plainly so that they don’t demand too much attention. Since our game is all in one room, and also in VR, it was an interesting challenge to make sure that it wasn’t too busy or cluttered, while still maintaining a gothic tone (which is mostly ornate decorations).

Overall, there were some early choices that I think would have saved a lot more time as the project went on, but I learned a lot, got to test many different pipelines for asset creation, and enjoyed working on a fourth VR project.

The weather is getting warmer and Senior Showcase is getting closer! We’ve been working hard to polish everything up for our big day. Lots of changes and updates were made to our showcase slidedeck and video, and we fixed the two biggest bugs in our game.

The player can now throw the DNA lamp in what is being hailed as a “groundbreaking feature.”

Our artists are hard at work finalizing everything from character models to the decorations in Ellis’ lab.

Plus, we have new media, like this showcase poster.

We’ll see you next week for final updates and individual postmortems!

Tasks:

  • Texture new scene items by week 8 (95%) 9h 30m
  • Total Hours: 9 hr 30m

Positives: I got a ton done this week, even though I missed basically a week from being sick. The machine got fully painted, and went through some initial iterations, baked, and implemented in game. The piano got textured, baked, and put in game. Textures on the machine also got baked and implemented. Really just about everything in our scene item model log is textured now, save maybe a side table or two.

piano in game

first iteration machine

second iteration

in game

Negatives: As a running theme, being sick for nearly a week wasn’t great at all, especially since I still have my other class work to do. That being said, I’m mainly satisfied by feeling better, and a lot got done this week too. Some pipeline issues pushed back texturing the bar some, but other than that, it’s just jars and small things that need in game materials.

Looking Ahead: Texturing more areas and adding in some VFX