Tasks:
Meetings: 1h
Conversation Prototype: 5h
Teleportation Prototype: 4h 30m

Total Hours: 10h30m

Positives:

The conversation prototype now has audio files that correspond to both the player and the NPC. I was also able to abstract the conversation-related code in the prototype script to one NPC script that can be added to any character the player needs to interact with in the game. Additionally, the character now responds differently to the player depending on how much they like the player’s responses to them, although the displayed text remains the same. The video below first shows dialogue that happens when the character likes the player’s responses, and then shows the dialogue options when the character dislikes the player’s responses.

I also got a very low-level teleportation prototype working, where the player looks to the floor where they want to go and presses a button on the Oculus touch controllers in order to teleport there. This is not the ideal teleportation mechanic we want, but it should be easy enough to expand/alter the prototype to fit our needs.

teleportationPrototype

Negatives:

I ended up not having time to go over the unity puzzle tutorial I have been wanting to look at, and will hopefully be able to set aside time to look at that in the upcoming week. I also am worried about not getting work done on the murder board prototype, and I hope to talk to Chris about overall design plans for it and figure out a way that we can both contribute to it in order to get it done. I think that we might be able to split it up into more independent parts so we can work on it simultaneously.

Looking Ahead:
Unity Puzzle Tutorial
Murder Board Prototype
Moving Wall Prototype

Tasks:

  • Meeting with Dr. Frank Lee and Corey Arnold: 1h
  • Repository Work (upgrading master and getting team members access): 30m
  • Database Research: 1h
  • Conversation Prototype (including database): 7h

Total Hours: 9h30m

Positives: Our master branch project is now updated to use the newest version of Unity, which the team has been utilizing to create prototypes. I did a bit of research to look into using a SQLite database with a Unity project, and luckily it turned out to be rather easy to add. I was able to incorporate a database into a test branch, and use that database to store dialogue for a conversation in a prototype scene (shown below).

conversationSample

Even if we decide to move away from the original conversation logic we mapped out earlier in the term, a database will be useful to store character information, clues, and other items we might need for the game, including the current state of those items. The prototype I created both grabs data from the database, and updates data values in the database, which should take care of all the base-level database interactions we might need for this project.

Negatives: The whole team still does not have access to the GitHub repository, so I am working to get that completed. Additionally, the code I created for the conversation prototype, while functioning, will need to be cleaned and separated into more general scripts before it should be incorporated into the master branch.

Looking Ahead:

  • Going through Unity puzzle tutorials
  • Adding test sound files to the conversation prototype
  • Starting the murder board prototype

Tasks:
  • Meetings: 6h
  • Database Planning: 1h30m
  • Repository Work: 30m
Total Hours: 8h
Positives: The team met two times this week and had meaningful discussions. I helped come up with more specific ideas in terms of utilizing VR and scenes for the original game. Additionally, I mocked up a table schema for the main database tables we would need, which should be able to handle the more complicated dialogue logic we were originally going for (shown below). In the second meeting, the team decided to pivot the game idea in order to scope down, and I contributed to the overall new idea and some more specific puzzle mechanics.
Negatives: Unfortunately, since the team decided to pivot our game idea entirely, most of the database table schema I came up with is now no longer necessary. However, on a more positive note, the pivot means that the dialogue and overall gameplay logic should be less complicated than what we had originally.
Looking Ahead:
  • Research on integrating SQLite with Unity projects
  • Adding blank database to repository
  • Going through Unity and SQLite tutorials
Database Schema