The weather is getting warmer and Senior Showcase is getting closer! We’ve been working hard to polish everything up for our big day. Lots of changes and updates were made to our showcase slidedeck and video, and we fixed the two biggest bugs in our game.

The player can now throw the DNA lamp in what is being hailed as a “groundbreaking feature.”

Our artists are hard at work finalizing everything from character models to the decorations in Ellis’ lab.

Plus, we have new media, like this showcase poster.

We’ll see you next week for final updates and individual postmortems!

Tasks:

  • Showcase Deck Revision: 3h
  • Bugfixing: 4h
  • Playtest: 1h30m
  • Balance Victor Audio: 1h
  • Spatialize Police Chief Sound: 5m

Total Hours: 9h30m

Positives: 

Spent lots of time in-engine this week doing a whole bunch of things. I’ve figured out where our major NavMesh bug is happening, which is good – I know where I need to start from when fixing it this week. Joe and I took sound balancing off of Sydney’s plate so she can breathe for once in her life and not implode before the showcase. Additionally, we made some major upgrades to our showcase deck and I’m looking forward to showing it off in class. I also managed to get one person in-headset to help us find bugs, which is always nice. The sound team has promised me 4 or 5 new tracks this coming week, so I’ll also be working to implement those.

This is, uh…not supposed to happen.
What even are animations
Madeline, that’s not how human bodies are supposed to work

Negatives: 

I am concerned the NavMesh bug might only be able to be resolved by rethinking how we handle it, which will take a good deal of time and is not an ideal situation. Also, midterms ate my life. There are never not bugs to fix. I might enlist Samara to help with Navmesh if she’s available so I don’t actually commit a murder while working on it.

Looking Ahead: 

  • Finish police chief scene
  • Cut together and balance Ellis audio
  • Fix Navmesh
  • Help Sydney set dress
  • Revise showcase deck
  • Implement music from sound team

Oh, we’re screaming all the way to graduation.

Tasks:

  • Bugfixing/Polish: 5h
  • Hang poster: 1h
  • Showcase deck: 2h
  • Clean mocap data: 1h30m

Total Hours: 9 hours 30 minutes

Positives: 

Everything is happening! I’m getting new material on an almost daily basis to put into the game, and things are looking really, really good. I spent a bunch of time bugfixing this week, and Samara and I have been splitting up tasks left and right to make sure every bug gets addressed. I’ve got my hands on a bunch of new stuff to put in this week as well, and I’m looking forward to seeing all these goodies get into our game.

“You’ve opened frequently”

Negatives: 

There’s still work to do! We’re all tired, midterms have pushed us to our breaking points, and graduation is so close but so far. It’s a matter of somehow forcing ourselves to just get it done.

Looking Ahead: 

  • Bugfixing, polish
  • Keep putting stuff in

MIDTERMS!

We’re sprinting (or flinging)

Tasks:

  • Machine Model Smoothing – 1h30m
  • SFX work – 1h
  • Police Chief ccene – 1h
  • Playtest Prep & Host – 4h
  • Hook up new corpse model – 1h
  • WIP build – 30m

Total Hours: 9 hours

Positives: 

THE GAME IS COMING TOGETHER! I’m getting my hands on more and more things to get the final versions into the scene and get this game looking and running as best as it can. We ran a great playtest with some of Samara’s coworkers, which gave us insights into how people who have never played the game before react to it. I’m currently planning another test with brand-new players for this weekend.

Negatives: 

Lots of stuff got to me on the late side and didn’t make it in to this week’s build because, to be frank, it was 2 AM and I decided to prioritize getting sleep. Here’s to not letting school get in the way of my health. There’s still work to do.

Looking Ahead: 

  • Bugfixing, polish
  • Implementing ALL OF THE THINGS!

Tasks:

  • SFX Pass: 5h 30m
  • Recording session: 1h
  • Bugfixing: 2h30m

Total Hours: 9 hours

Positives: 

AHHHH things are finally starting to come together! The team is firing on all cylinders and I was able to get 90% of the sound effects we need for the game – gathering, editing, and putting them in engine. Many of them have also been implemented, and it feels really good to see the placeholder audio die a painful death. WE’RE FINISHED RECORDING. Syd wrapped up with our voice actors last week, and Dan and I joined Shiloh in the studio yesterday to record a few last miscellaneous voice lines for the police chief and the jury lead. ALSO! Many bugs were fixed, including Mavis not handing the player the invitation and the characters getting stuck in the doorway. Also, the machine keys have snap capabilities now. Nice.

Negatives: 

We still have to fix SnapGrabbable so objects have gravity again when the player drops them, and I have a few more SFX to nab (note made in notepad, and the crunch for sticking in the flower labels, which I’ll be grabbing from STILL ON THE WATER since we already have a perfect sound for that). Additionally, I’ll be implementing the rest of everything, as it turns out spatialization for VR requires a little bit more than spatialization for a standard 3D game. The good thing is that I know what that little bit more entails and should easily be able to do that by next week.

Looking Ahead:

  • More SFX
  • More bugfixing
  • WIP build
  • Implement new tracks if I get them from the sound team.