Happy finals from Prediction Error!

We’ve been hard at work finalizing our deliverables for the end of the term. Puzzles are being improved, conversations are happening, and we have MENUS!

 

Oh, and a really great-looking team intro.

 

We’re ready to present our prototype tomorrow for the end-of-term session.

PuzzleFlow
Puzzle Progression

Tasks: Try not to die because of Finals

  • Elder Concept Art 1h
  • PPJ: 30m
  • impromptu Planning meeting 3h
  • Team Meeting 1h 20m

Total Hours: 5h 50m

Positives: This week we changed the name of the game, which accurately fits our idea and our game’s tone! We also planned out our schedule for the rest of the year, so this should be good if it all works as planned.

Negatives: Ayyyy I got almost no work done this week because of finals being due this week. This week I have taken care of almost all of my finals, now that they are done I will be able to put all my effort into working on this project. I hate that this has taken so long to do, but my schedule did not permit anything else.

Looking Ahead: Finish concept art for remaining two characters and work on the countess’ chest piece and head ornaments.

Tasks:

Planned:

  • Detailed Concept Sheets for All Puzzles 4h
    • Start Door Puzzle
    • Biowall
    • Gallery
    • Piano
    • The Study
    • The Body
    • The Eye
    • The Machine
    • The Archives

Unplanned:

  • Game Title Design 1.5h
  • Concept consolidation .5h
  • Game designer meetup (w/ fudge) 1h

Total Hours: 7h

Positives: Puzzle progression fully nailed down. Puzzle concepts worked out into separate documents. A few are definitely more fleshed out than others, pending further development and testing. I have an idea to put all the documents together into a large “map” that summarizes the majority of possible interactions, while also showing the layout of our map, and which puzzles are reliant on the completion of other puzzles. I think I have a good idea for how to set it up, pending feedback from the team.

Negatives: Got sick. Another week long swim meet. Got my stuff done so it doesn’t matter. Gonna push on through. I felt like I hit a roadblock on some of the detailed concept sheets, but there’s enough finished that the team shouldn’t be waiting on anything, and the puzzles can be developed further in the next week.

Looking Ahead: 

  • Consolidating all puzzle concepts
  • To be assigned

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

It’s The Final(s) Countdown

Tasks:

  • Project planning: 45m
  • Implementing Menus: 1h
  • Demo Video: 2h
  • Public Prototype Pitch Deck: 1h
  • Deliverables: 30m

Total Hours: 5h15m

Look, a demo where we don’t have to be at war with hardware!

Positives: This week wasn’t as stressful as I thought it would be. I spent some time working on the prototype pitch deck, getting a video demo together so we don’t have to fight with hardware anymore, and finally getting some prototype menus in! Syd and I had a nice little cozy meeting where we worked out a detailed timeline for winter term so she could make a nice pretty Gantt chart. I feel a lot better about where we are (don’t get me wrong – we still have a TON of work to do. But now there are deadlines and color-coded charts.) After some fighting with both software and hardware, the build itself was pretty straightforward to make. I actually managed to plan a reasonable bedtime for myself the night before our presentation. And all of our main player controls are in.

AND THIS IS THE LAST SUBMISSION FOR FALL TERM. Time to go sleep for all of Winter Break.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Negatives: The senioritis is here. Final projects and Concert Week are lurking in my brain. It’s going to be time to set this project aside for even a week to think about other things. Oculus and Unity, as usual, had moments where they did. Not. Want. To. Cooperate. Blackboard somehow nearly took 20 minutes to upload a single .pptx file. We still have TONS of work to do.

Also, turns out I forgot to check on our status report (like I tend to nag my team about) and din’t realize I had sound and snap functions for piano cylinders on deck for this week. Now I’m a hypocrite. And I have one more task for break.

…well, I got the sound in there and a very buggy version of the “stay snapped” functionality. Up next is maknig that actually….good.

…and I didn’t give Samara a bug list. :/

Looking Ahead:

  • We’ve got a little bit of work planned for over the break, so I’ll be tackling some small tasks to get us ready for winter term, including:
    • polishing the functionality of our existing puzzles
    • getting and implementing 2 new tracks from the sound team
    • implement a corpse the player can drag around
    • prototype picture gallery puzzle
    • doing that piano cylinder thing I was supposed to do this week
  • Also, finals and sleeping. And maybe even eating a vegetable.

 

Tasks:

  • Cried over team video: 5h
  • Made Gantt chart: 4h
  • Modeled keypad: 1h
  • Modeled door: 1h

Total Hours: 11h

Positives: GANTT CHART. GANTT CHART. SO ORGANIZED. SO BEAUTIFUL. We have one! And it spans from next term all the way to graduation (Big Yikes). While it’s lovely seeing everything planned out, I can also now see we are going to have to floor it spring term week one and not stop until we walk on stage to get our diplomas. I also made a keypad and door for our starting little puzzle. Erin, Samara, and I talked about how small the keys could be before colliders became an issue so I modeled with that in mind.

GanttUpdate.jpg

Look at that chocolate bar (keypad) and that…big X (door).

Negatives: The team video decided it wanted to cause me intense mental distress and be as difficult as possible. After 5 hours it felt like I was beating a dead horse so…it’s what we have for now. Next term I want to reshoot everything and make it higher priority. That falls on me and it feels bad man.

pain.jpg

Looking Ahead:

  • Scream