The weather is getting warmer and Senior Showcase is getting closer! We’ve been working hard to polish everything up for our big day. Lots of changes and updates were made to our showcase slidedeck and video, and we fixed the two biggest bugs in our game.

The player can now throw the DNA lamp in what is being hailed as a “groundbreaking feature.”

Our artists are hard at work finalizing everything from character models to the decorations in Ellis’ lab.

Plus, we have new media, like this showcase poster.

We’ll see you next week for final updates and individual postmortems!

Tasks:

  • Bugfixing – 3h
  • Gameplay Recording – 3h
  • Showcase Deck – 3h
  • Implement Madeline – 2h
  • Re-UV Machine Model – 1h
  • Small Sound updates – 30m

Total Hours: 12h30m

Positives: 

We’re ALMOST THERE! The time I spent banging my head against Navmesh was well worth it despite it ultimately being irrelevant to the actual fix for the problem. It’s a programming truth that it often takes several hours to figure out a 5-minute bug fix, and after about six hours over the last two weeks, I was able to track down that 5-minute fix for our “characters getting stuck problem.” That and SnapGrabbable working with gravity were the two biggest remaining bugs in the game – keyword were. I took care of the getting stuck issue and Samara was able to make SnapGrabbable work as intended. I recorded a TON of gameplay footage for Joe to use in both our showcase video and in other videos for our slidedeck.

Additionally, I was on coordinating the slidedeck updates themselves, which were pretty major after our meeting with Dr. Muschio on Thursday – he gave us some great feedback that we’ll be putting into practice this week and next week for the final (we’re still waiting on some media because our team members have a finite amount of time).

It might be a meme (shoutout to Joe for the overlay), but here’s a pitcure of me working on setup for gameplay recording, which (if you include the preparatory and intermediate bugfixes) took up a significant portion of my weekend.
At least our apartment wall makes a good backdrop.

Negatives: 

If Erin isn’t stressed, did we really submit a slidedeck? Unfortunately, I had some miscommunications with Joe about who was doing what and needed to jump in at the last minute because I hadn’t realized some things were my responsibility. Additionally, late materials from teammates greatly delayed my gameplay recording (I finished about 7 hours later than originally planned) and my compilation of the slidedeck itself. We also ran into some issues actually submitting it, because why not? I’ll be planning to get to this MUCH earlier next week for the final so I don’t actually have a heart attack 2 weeks before the showcase.

Also, I didn’t get to the updated soundtrack implementation like I wanted to. However, I did chat with Shiloh about structure and whatnot, and only have a few more decisions to make before I get all the new stuff in. It’ll be done by this time next week.

Looking Ahead: 

  • Final slidedeck
  • Bugfixing/polish
  • Finalize all music

Tasks:

  • Video – 3h
  • Poster – 3h
  • lighting – 4h
  • other junk – 1h 45m

Total Hours: 11.75 hours

Positives: 

Poster done. Game coming together well. I think I can fix lighting now. Great feedback from Glen. Making headway on next rev of slideshow and video.

Negatives: 

Lighting broke. Entire walls or sections would turn pitch black. I had to start over. Made me sad. I wanted to be done last week. Took priority because footage would need to be redone. I’m behind on so many things.

Looking Ahead: 

  • INSTRUCTIONAL GRAPHICS
  • INVITATION
  • LIGHTING FINISHED
  • UI IMPLEMENTED
  • SLIDE DECK THEME + CUSTOM SLIDES
  • FIX MY BRAIN
poster I made.

Ayyyyy Victor

Tasks:

  • Fixing Madeline: 5 hrs
  • Victor Clothes and Model: 12 hrs
  • Beauty Renders: 2hrs

Total Hours: 19 hrs

Positives: Okay, so here we are, nearly at the end. Madeline is finished, re-textured and implemented, which is awesome.

Victor is nearly done also which is great, he should be done by tomorrow.
unknown (3)image0

 

 

Negatives: I didn’t finish Victor this week, and I had some issues with fixing Madeline the previous week, but hopefully thatll be behind us soon.

Looking Ahead: Victor

Tasks:
Finish Voice Line Entry: 45m
Database Value Entry & Related Bug Fixes: 1h15m
Fix Snapgrabbable Gravity: 45m (timeless)

Total Hours: 2h45m

Positives:

I didn’t have a lot to do this week, but I got all of my outstanding tasks done. Syd and I finished adding the final voice lines in, including the introduction and end game ones.

I fixed some relationship value issues we had with our database in order to prep for when we have all the completed tracks for our dynamic soundtrack. You can see in the bottom left-hand corner of this gif (it’s difficult I know) that the value increases as the player talks to the NPC.

relValUpdate.gif

I also finally fixed our code that snaps objects to specific places, so now those objects can also have gravity. Which means the player can now throw the DNA lamp, which is obviously the most important part of the game.

snapgrabbableGravity.gif

Negatives:

Honestly, this week went pretty smoothly.

Looking Ahead:
Bug Fixing as Needed