Tasks:

  • Meeting with Jaleese Blanding-Coates: 2h
  • Character Thumbnails and Gothic Fashion Research: 1h
  • VR Scene and Hardware Debugging: 5 hr 
  • VR Hands Scene Grabbables Development: 2 hr 

Total Hours: 9hr 

Positives: This week the rest of the team and I had an amazing meeting with Jaleese Blanding-Coates, a Drexel Grad student currently making a VR game, and were able to demo her work, as well as talk to her in depth about the problems she was having with development, how to fix them, how she was approaching things like motion sickness and locomotion controls, how long each part of her development was taking, and more. She was an amazing resource for moving forward, and we got her contact for future demos. Using the Oculus Avatar SDK, I was able to get hand presence and finger motions implemented this week, as well as grabbing, throwing, etc. I also did some character thumbnail sketches to get a feel for what mix of gothic fashion and robotics we want in our characters.

Negatives: The bad came from development and hardware bugs. Unity not recognizing oculus apps, the oculus playing audio only and no video, SDKs in the project overlapping and throwing a billion errors, things like that. I also got a new laptop that can run VR so I can test on my own, which is a major “good”, but also bad because of initial setup bugs and admin problems needing to be smoothed out. Luckily most of these bugs got fixed Monday night, so the next week of development should be a lot more straightforward, fixing bugs in what we made instead of bugs in the hardware. 

Looking Ahead:

  • More expansive hands interactions 
  • Murderboard Prototype
  • Preparation of Week 6 Deliverables
  • More testing and prototyping in VR
  • More solidified concept art

 

 

Tasks:

  • General/Concept Art Meetings: 3h
  • Polaroid Camera Prototype: 5h
  • PPJ: 30m
  • Moodboard/Research: 2 hr

Total Hours: 10h30m 

Positives:   Full steam ahead prototyping! Almost all of the main components of the camera and image capture mechanic have been developed. It now renders to the viewport, identifies items (like what evidence a player is photographing) in the scene, and prints photos taken to a model, which was exactly the goals set out for last week. Character concepts and art styles are coming into focus as well after meetings this week, and we have a cast of 3 potential suspects with their own backstories and designs. Moodboards have also been heavily developed, with a large volume of images and references compiled into a team Pinterest.

Negatives: This week was actually pretty smooth sailing. There were some merge conflicts in our scenes, but actual development met the goals defined for last week, and the combined demos in our new VR scene work nicely. By necessity the Polaroid object requires an extra camera rendering and saving out textures, which will need optimization best kept in mind now rather than waiting until later. Making an effort to keep the Profiler open during development should hopefully keep this out of the ‘bad’ section in future PPJs. Another negative I can think of is that though we’ve made great progress with concept art and moodboards, the majority of reference for what we’ve found is 2D or painted, so the next wave of reference should include examples of lower-poly assets from games. 

Looking Ahead:

  • 3D Style Tests and Moodboards
  • Preparation of Week 5 Deliverables
  • More testing and prototyping in VR
  • More concept art