Tasks:

  • Place Study Filler Models  2hr
  • Textures for walls and floor 2hr
  • Piano Receiver Model 1hr

Total Hours: 5hr

Positives: Didn’t have as much time again this week, but I still got my tasks mostly done. I’ve worked on exporting the material I’ve made and gotten it up to the point where the parameters are expose-able and more customized to what we want. I’ve also placed more filler models made previously into the study, so that it’s more fleshed out, and modeled out another part of the piano puzzle to go with the model I made last week.

Negatives: Again this week the negative was just being in crunch for some other projects at the same time.

Looking Ahead: More models and implementation/especially models and materials that make the room look less sparse.

 

Tasks:

  • “Do Not Touch” sign model finished/in-engine 3hr
  • Final Cylinder and receiver models finished/in-engine 2hr
  • Machine Key models finished/in-engine  task changed

Total Hours: 5hr

Positives: I didn’t have as much time to work on this this week, but I still got the tasks I had done to 100%. We now have an in-engine do not touch sign for the gallery, which I made as 3 separate layers of models, so that in the polish quarter we can have them rotate, fade in and out, or be holographic, and got to UV. I then also talked with Syd and Joe about what the final cylinders should look like, and created those models after looking at reference, which are also now in engine.

 

Negatives: Mostly just the limited time, but I was still able to get my work done, so not too bad. 

Looking Ahead: More models and implementation/especially models and materials that make the room look less sparse.

 

Tasks:

  • Craft for models to fill room 2hr
  • Touch up models for playtest 3hr
  • Make materials for walls and floors 5hr

Total Hours: 10h

Positives: This week I was able to start putting the models I’d made with temporary materials and get them in engine. I definitely think they helped fill out the room, and some of them were able to be re-used in multiple places (such as turning the vase model upside down to form cushions, or some other piece of furniture). I also worked on a material that speaks to more of our sci-fi influences that can go on the floors and walls. I made it in substance designer, so it’s procedural, and once implemented we’d be able to get multiple textures out of one material (for example, using a slider to select between different geometric patterns).

Negatives: Some of the models that I re-imported into unity came in without their parented children (like bookcases without shelves), but that should be easy to fix with some restructuring.

Looking Ahead: More models and implementation/especially models and materials that make the room look less sparse.

 

Tasks:

  • Finish final texturing on Bio Room Models 0h
  • Make models for the rest of the mansion 9h
  • (This task pivot was decided during team meeting that week)

Total Hours: 9h

Positives: Because of the increasing visual scarcity between the rest of the space and some of the more developed puzzle locations, we decided that instead of texturing this week, I should make models to use throughout the rest of the game, that also drive our sci-fi aesthetic a bit more home. Then, later on, I’ll do a texturing sweep, etc, and get these tasks done in waves instead of focusing on one area first. I think this is going to work out well, and I also got quite a few models done, with plans for how they can have extra ‘fun’ features for players during the polish phase. I also added some more leaves to the polybrush presets so that the biowall can start looking more overgrown.

Futuristic bookcase possibly for placing throwable objects on
Basic Book, Vase, Pyramid decoration + rotating top, and hexagonal lantern
Implementation of vines and leaves on Biowall

Negatives: There weren’t any major negatives this week, things went pretty smoothly. 

Looking Ahead: More models and implementation

 

Tasks:

  • Fill Biowall with Models 5h
  • Begin final texturing on biowall models 2h

Total Hours: 7h

Positives: This week was a whirlwind, but a good one. Previously it took me about a sprint to do all the research about how to produce foliage in a useful way, and I think this week it’s really paid off. What took me so long last time I’m now able to do relatively quickly, and got out 3 foliage models + vines instead of one. The texturing took place alongside this, because most foliage looks pretty awful before it’s been textured, since for performance that get reduced to shaped cards. I also tested a VR workflow to see what the benefits may be, and made out Vine models in Google’s free Blocks VR modeling program. It was really quick, and probably great for prototyping, but the integrity of the models in unity is questionable.

Leaf sculpted, modeled out for low poly count, and poly-painted using Zbrush and Maya

Sets of vines made in Google Blocks, we’ll see how they go

Negatives: I was sick this week and unable to come to class, which is a negative, but after some rest I got caught up and got a surprising amount of work done. Some of the models still need to be duplicated fully scene-setup in unity, but they at least work and are prefabs at the moment. 

Looking Ahead: More artistic development on the puzzle areas