Haaaaaaaave we mentioned the playtest?
This week, the Prediction Error team decided it would be wise to run a playtest session over the weekend to get a sense of how we’re doing in terms of getting mechanics to a playable state, creating puzzles that players can interpret, and correctly handling small details such as player size.
This decision led to the need for a large amount of work from every team member, and we were thrilled that we could get the prototype to a point where we could watch others play through it.
This was, indeed, a valuable session – we found bugs, realized where our players were under-informed, and took note of the major issues that needed to be fixed. Additionally, it forced us as a team to make sure everything each individual had been working on worked together – which can sometimes be a very frustrating process.
We made lots and lots of progress this week, so here’s a brief rundown:
- We may have mentioned this already, but we ran a playtest and identified areas in which this project needs to improve.
- We have a greyboxed character!
- Our pipeline has been drafted and is in the process of being tested.
- First assets for the room and puzzles were created.
- The art team is prioritizing models and UI design that are essential to the game and its puzzles.
- We did a partial overhaul of the piano puzzle, which still needs some work.
- Samara created a Mastermind-style “front door” puzzle.
- Samara integrated draft audio into the player conversation with Madeline.
- Samara added different options in conversation that affect Madeline’s opinion of the player.
- Erin extended this into adjusting the volume of the brass line in the soundtrack.
- Samara prepared the biowall puzzle.
- Erin brought it into the prototype.
- Erin began work on murder board line drawing.
- Our sound team has sent over a sample track, and we’re so happy with how it sounds!
On this week’s docket:
- Plan out puzzle chain in a more final format
- B U G F I X I N G
- Create essential art assets
- Implement conversation UI
- Finish murder board line drawing mechanic
- Begin work on accusation system
- Add multiple lines to soundtrack manager