Team PPJ, Fall Week 3

This week marked large changes for the Prediction Error team. After a meeting with our advisor, Dr. Muschio, we determined that it would be in our best interests to pursue an idea of smaller scope for our senior project. This determination led to a Monday evening work session, where the game development and programming teams met to discuss a new idea. We decided to shift to a puzzle detective game, still in virtual reality, without the weight of discussing such a delicate topic as sexual assault, which would require a larger team and more development time to handle appropriately.

 

IMG_20181008_191338

beep

 

Our new direction focuses on the murder of an esteemed local inventor, who is killed during a public expo of his works at his mansion’s laboratory. Suspects are trapped in the laboratory via a “panic button,” and the player must uncover the gruesome truth behind the inventor’s experiments.

This week included a great deal of work creating asset lists and other elements for our new direction. We, as a team, explored the questions and interactions that we wanted to guide our game. We listed the types of puzzles we’d like to include around the room, placing particular emphasis on those that would be interesting in VR and make the best use of our medium.

 

Organizing thematic material on Dan.

When you run out of handy wall space, improvise.

 

Documentation and concept development continues to be a priority as we prepare for our second public pitch next week and begin work prototyping…

 

Ah yes. Prototyping. The other main task for the team this week was the beginning of proofs-of-concept and interaction prototypes, which were created and added to the repository. Two prototypes were created: one demonstrated the “camera” mechanic we plan to include and tie into our player’s “murder wall,” and the other modeled a very simple puzzle that featured VR interactions, including grasping objects, snapping them into position, and event handling through VRTK, the virtual reality toolkit asset we will be using to aid us in developing interactions for VR and handling input from various headsets and controllers.

 

Screenshot_1

 

There’s still lots of work to do. From completing our Gantt chart and refining our asset list to beginning to block out our scene in the Unity editor to drafting artistic concepts and meeting with our sound team and writing dialogue, we have plenty of good work to look forward to.